Crispy chicken with root vegetable mash and broccoli
Every single Little ones recipe is nutritionally approved by the British Nutrition Foundation - so you know you are giving your little one a great start.Advanced search
Like this? Try these
With such a range of textures on one plate, children will love this dish – and you will too!
- 250g white potatoes (eg Maris Piper), peeled and cut into cubes
- 500g pack Sainsbury's swede and carrot cubes
- 2 tbsp Sainsbury's olive oil
- 225g (about 3 slices) Sainsbury's basics white loaf
- handful fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into thick strips
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- large knob of butter
Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Cook the potatoes, swede and carrot in a pan of boiling water for 20 minutes, or until soft. Meanwhile, put a non-stick baking tray into the oven with 1 tbsp olive oil.
Whizz the bread in a processor, then add the parsley and the remaining oil and whizz again briefly (if you have ready-made crumbs, just chop the parsley and stir into the breadcrumbs with the oil). Sprinkle the breadcrumbs onto a plate.
In a bowl, add some freshly ground black pepper to the egg and stir in the chicken. One by one, coat the chicken strips in the crumbs. Place on the hot baking tray and return to the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden and cooked through, turning once.
Pour some boiling water into a steamer and steam the broccoli for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain the root vegetables and mash together with a little pepper and the butter. Serve with the chicken and broccoli.